Tuesday, February 8, 2011

A Review: Raymond E Fiest: "Rides A Dread Legion"

Ok, first a confession. I am a novice author. I am an intermediate-expert reader. I am not a professional reviewer.

I comment on this piece of work as a reader.

I was looking for a new book to read. I like to have something to help me wind down at the end of the day, and I also wanted to do a bit of research for my own writing work. So, I wanted a good book.

Now, many years ago, I purchased a copy of the book Magician. I enjoyed it, and so my friend lent me Silverthorn and A Darkness At Sethanon. I also enjoyed these. A while later, I came upon Jimmy The Hand (written with Steve Stirling) and bought that also. I found it a simpler read, younger, but still enjoyable. So, as you can see, I have a good relationship with REF's work.

A few months ago I re-read Jimmy and only a few weeks ago I re-read Magician. Quite enjoyed them.

So, when I happened to walk through a bookstore and spot this latest offering I thought it was just what I was after.

First impression: typos galore! I am just amazed at the number of typos - as small as an extra letter here and there to as big as an entire wrong word! Where were the editors?

Next impression: I just didn't get a feel for any of the characters. Not even Pug, who I grew quite fond of in Magician (although, I was tested when his name changed to Milamber... ew). I found that Pug's wife, Miranda, rubbed me the wrong way... a very abrupt character. Perhaps she had her reasons... but I'm not sure I could sympathize enough. I am curious to go back and read some of the earlier books now, just to see if she was ever a nice person, but I will be borrowing them from the library.

The last two chapters are good. Finally things seemed to happen.

(originally written at the end of 2009, time to share)

No comments:

Post a Comment